This beautiful area, rich in native history provides the ideal jumping off point for all things north. A world of exploration lies right at our doorstep. We encourage guests to immerse themselves in our northern Michigan way of life and to sample its many intriguing tastes. Season after season, there’s always something here to enjoy.
Stafford's Crooked River Lodge & Suites is within arms reach to recreational and river activities. Below are a few area attractions our guests enjoy.
- Northern Michigan is nationally recognized as a mid-western golf Mecca, and Alanson is located in the middle of the industry’s best! Locations throughout northern Michigan.
- Take a walk down to the Crooked River and view the world's shortest swinging bridge.
- Visit one of the many hiking trails at Little Traverse Conservancy (locations across northern Michigan).
- Just minutes away from the lodge is access to Michigan's best skiing - Boyne Highlands and Nub's Nob.
- Walk, hike or kayak along the Bear River Recreation Area in Petoskey.
- There are many biking paths across northern Michigan, including the Little Traverse Wheelway - a paved path from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix (23.25 miles).
- Big Bear Adventures in Indian River offers kayak, canoe and tubing adventures.
- Fly fishing - several fly fisherman offer lessons. Our front desk has several recommendations.
- Snowshoeing - Explore the 20 acres surrounding our property. Snowshoes are available thanks to our friends at Bear Cub Outfitters.
- Snowmobiling - Our staff is happy to arrange snowmobile rentals through Burt Lake Marina. They provide a fleet of single and two passenger Ski-Doo Snowmobiles. Full or half day rentals are available. Advance reservations recommended. Access to hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails is right across the road.
Shopping & Site-Seeing
- Village of Alanson (1.5 miles)
- Indian River (10 miles east)
- Downtown Petoskey Gaslight District (12 miles south)
- Mackinaw City (20 miles north)
- Downtown Harbor Springs (8 miles west)
- Village of Bay Harbor (20 minutes south)
- Hillside Gardens in Alanson
- Inland Water Route Historical Society Museum - Located in downtown Alanson
- M-119 The Tunnel of Trees - A scenic drive north of Harbor Springs to Cross Village
- National Shrine of the Cross in the Woods - Indian River (8 miles east)
- Michigan Fisheries Visitors Center - Located in Oden (7 miles south)
- Bay View Association - Home to over 400 Victorian Cottages, events seasonally
- Mackinac Island- Located 20 miles north
- Visit the Waterfront in Petoskey - 12 miles south
- Stafford’s Noggin Room Pub features live entertainment every Friday and Saturday evening.
- Little Traverse Civic Theatre hosts seasonal shows. Please visit www.ltct.org or inquire with our staff.
- Bay View Association hosts concerts every Sunday evening (seasonally).
- Crooked Tree Art Center hosts artists exhibits and entertainment. Please visit www.crookedtree.org for more information.
View our complete entertainment and events calendar!