#PeopleOfStaffords is a new blog series featuring employees from our 7 Landmark Locations. We will feature one individual, giving you a behind-the-scenes look at the people leading our day-to-day operations.
- Tell us, Debbie, how did you end up in northern Michigan? I was born and raised in Harbor Springs. I was married in 1972 to Carl and we moved to Norfolk, Virginia where Carl was stationed in the Navy. We lived there for 2 1/2 years and moved back to Harbor Springs where we started our family and my husband purchased a business. We have three children and one granddaughter and a grandson on the way! I went to work for Stafford’s in 1993. I was the Rose Room daytime Dining Room Manager for about five years and then moved to the Sales Office where I worked until 1999. In 1999, we sold our house and my husband sold his business and we moved to the Dominican Republic where we served short term missionaries for a year. It was a fantastic opportunity. We came back to the Harbor Springs area in 2000 and started over. I was blessed to have Stafford’s hire me back in the fall of 2000 and have been here since then!
- What do you do for Stafford’s Hospitality? I’m the Sales Manager for Stafford’s Perry Hotel, Crooked River Lodge and Bay View Inn. I book and plan weddings, meetings and special events for our guests.
- What do you love about your job? I love my job. I love the people I work with. The atmosphere is wonderful. I couldn’t have chosen a better path. I get to talk with people all day that are planning joyous events such as weddings, family reunions, special events, retreats and corporate events. It is so much fun to help people make their dreams come true!
- In your “free time” what do you do? I love to travel when I can. My daughter Colista and grandchildren are in Dallas. My son Carl lives in Wisconsin and my daughter Annika lives in Ferndale. We also have an adopted son, Daniel, who lives in the Dominican Republic, so I plan at least two trips a year to see them. I go on short term mission trips when I can. I’m currently planning a short term mission trip to Haiti in 2016. I love to read, camp and ski. I’m very active in my church and community. My favorite hobby is cooking. I have a passion for health. I help run a plant based supper club once a month with an average attendance of 35 people each month. Essential oils are my latest hobby and I love sharing what I learn with my friends and family.
- How would you describe northern Michigan to our guests? Northern Michigan is a hidden jewel. I have been blessed to travel all over and there is no place that can compare to Michigan. The beauty here is amazing. We have sandy beaches and water everywhere. There is something to do all year long from water sports to winter sports. We have no shortage of things to do in the summer and have the best skiing in the Midwest. There are activities to suit every age from 1 – 90. I love that I don’t have to travel in the summer months, because I have it all in the back yard and when winter hits, the ski hills are just down the road.