Winter is in full swing, and if you don’t have plans to come up and explore northern Michigan this winter, you should and here are 6 reasons why!
- Cozy Winter Getaways. Our accommodations have it all. Stafford’s Bay View Inn offers cozy accommodations with many rooms boasting in-room whirlpool tubs and fire places. If you’d rather shop and enjoy the quaint downtown Gaslight District in Petoskey, Stafford’s Perry Hotel is for you. You will not only enjoy the picturesque views of Little Traverse Bay, on the weekends we have local entertainment for roll-up-your-sleeves fun in the Noggin Room Pub. Looking for family-friendly fun? You’re in luck! 15 miles north of Petoskey in Alanson, Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites offers spacious guest rooms, an indoor pool, hot tub, loft area, outdoor fire-pit and the perfect escape to nature. It’s a true hidden gem you don’t want to miss.
- Sleigh Rides. Each and every Saturday (weather permitting) from 5:30 to 8:30, we offer sleigh rides through the historic district of Bay View (currently closed to all traffic because of seasonality). This 1/2 hour ride is fun for all ages and is a great way to enjoy some fresh air, while snuggling up with a warm blanket and a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
- The Best Skiing in the Midwest. Minutes away from our hotels, you will find the best skiing in the Midwest. Enjoy Nub’s Nob or Boyne Highlands (both in Harbor Springs) or Boyne Mountain in Boyne Falls. All offer downhill skiing and excellent cross-country skiing.
- Snowshoe. Their isn’t much that can compare to the crisp air and the aromas of pine trees in the winter season. Not only is snowshoeing fun, all ages can enjoy this activity. “If you can walk, you can snowshoe!” Many of the Little Traverse Nature Preserves have groomed trails to use (conditions of groomed trails can be found here) and are free of cost to use. Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge also has snowshoe trails for the adventurer. With over 20 acres to explore, much of it along the Crooked River, it’s simple to take in the peace and tranquility. You may even see swans, eagles and other wildlife on our trails. Guests of the lodge may use our complimentary snow shoes on a first come, first serve basis.
- Brews. All here in our backyard! Local breweries include: Beards Brewing (Downtown Petoskey), Petoskey Brewing Co. (located on M-119 in Petoskey) and Burnt Marshmallow Brewery (Petoskey). All serve tasty local brews and are worth checking out! If wine pleases your palette, there are plenty to choose from! Visit PetoskeyArea.Com for more information!
- Dine. Northern Michigan has no shortage of dining locations. If you’re looking for pizza or casual pub food, head to the Noggin Room Pub. Seafood? We have that, too. Stafford’s Pier Restaurant offers a fresh market catch of the day, along with other seafood & steak favorites. In the mood for a buffet? You’re in luck! Our Innkeeper’s Buffet is offered every Saturday evening and includes favorites from perch, chicken and more. If you’re in the Charlevoix area, pop into Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant to enjoy classic Stafford’s cuisine.
We hope to see you “up north,” soon!