We met for the first time while we were both walking home from class together – this was during college at Michigan State University (MSU). We lived on the same street. Mike was attached at the time, but when he became single, a band of mutual friends conspired to set us up – 2 of which served as my bridesmaids at the wedding.
Mike proposed to me while we were exchanging Christmas presents before leaving for Michigan the next day. We lived in Brooklyn, NY at the time – it was 2008. We had a rather long engagement (4 years!) a result of shifting priorities – I went to graduate school, he went to graduate school, we moved from NY to Chicago in fall 2009. When Mike graduated from DePaul (spring 2012), it finally felt like the time was right.
Why did you choose northern Michigan as your wedding destination?
Mike and I have bounced around a lot – we began our relationship at MSU, and subsequently carried it through to Sarasota, London, Boston, New York City and Chicago. Throughout it all, we have always returned to Michigan (our home state) for time with family and vacations up north. Northern Michigan is a very special place to us – we both vacationed there as kids and, like I mentioned, have made a point to return year after year for summer visits with family, friends or just the two of us.
We had a lot of help and many family ties to our wedding details. These included:
- We had Michigan shaped cookies featured in our welcome bags and were all baked by my new mother-in-law, Lori.
- My mother found all of the copper pieces we used on the tables and my grandmother made all of the table squares.
- My mother, father and aunt Sue picked all of the wheat we used from our family farm – Smith Brothers Farm.
- The flowers I wore in my hair were worn by my grandmother on her wedding day.
- My aunts Barbara and Linda baked a groom’s cake, a Scottish family tradition, that was featured on a plate my grandmother received on her wedding day.
- My uncle David gave a beautiful blessing before our meal.
- My aunt Chris is a professional musician and played the piano during our ceremony.
- My little cousins, Nathan and Logan, greeted our guests and passed out programs. Logan also gave a stellar performance to “Gangman Style.”
- My engagement ring is Mike’s grandmother’s grandmother’s ring – it’s quite old!
- We had friends and family from all over: London, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Montreal, Minneapolis, Detroit and Toledo.
– Submitted by Meghan K.
Ceremony Location: Reycraft Room at Stafford’s Perry Hotel
Reception Location: H.O. Rose Dining Room at Stafford’s Perry Hotel
Cake: Pies and a birthday cake for their grandmother by Johan’s Bakery
Flowers & Centerpieces: Flower’s from Sky’s The Limit (centerpieces found by bride’s mother)
Dress: J. Crew
Color Scheme: Black dresses, dark suits and autumnal reds, oranges, yellows and greens
Photographer: Andrew Williamson Photography
Congratulations Meghan and Michael. Best wishes from all of us at Stafford’s!